Gluten-free breakfasts Egg-free Breakfasts Meat-free vegetarian breakfasts Dairy-free Casein free breakfasts Raw breakfasts Nut-free no peanuts breakfasts Nut-free no peanuts breakfasts

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Day#6 Collard Green Wrap


This is Day 6 of my Eating Green Experiment. You can read about why I began it here.

The Wrap. The epitome of portability. The melding of flavors, one rolling upon the other. Just the right size to grab with your hand and go. It's becoming my favorite food in the world, but the whole wheat wraps that I've seen in the supermarket have ingredients that I can't pronounce, and they make me extremely sleepy, so I've found a substitute! Big leaves!

Collard Green Wrap
1/2 avocado
red cabbage
baby leaf greens
1 cucumber
1 radish

Cut away the tough stem of the Collard green so that it can bend. Stuff with with your favorite veggies and it's good to go.

Preparation time: 5 minutes

And collard greens are a nutritional cancer bomb:
"A study of Chinese women in Singapore, a city in which air pollution levels are often high putting stress on the detoxification capacity of residents' lungs, found that in non-smokers, eating cruciferous vegetables lowered risk of lung cancer by 30%. In smokers, regular cruciferous vegetable consumption reduced lung cancer risk an amazing 69%!"

2 comments:

Anonymous,  March 31, 2008 at 2:01 AM  

What are collards like raw??? I think they are only edible after long cooking.

A green suggestion. Asparagus is in season here. Roasted or steamed asparagus with cooked frozen peas. Yum

Ella the Crazy Breakfast Madam March 31, 2008 at 9:07 PM  

Collards taste like a more flavorful cabbage. I think they'd go great raw in a slaw.

As for the slow long cooking -- I know! I know! I'm completely crazy. But my stomach likes them that way. Just yesterday, I've rustled me up some ostrich meat and was flash-stewing my collard greens and my friend Bernie was berating me about this unholy method of cooking.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP